Japanese Stamp (Inkan or Hanko) and Paperwork - Inkanshomeisho


What is the Inakanshomeisho?  – it is the proof of stamp paper work (made at your ward office after you have registered the stamp).

The Stamp in Japanese is called an “Inakn” or “Hanko”.
Remember –
make the stamp at your local stamp shop (ask your office where the nearest stamp shop to you is.  Or see a couple links below.  Be sure to tell the stamp shop that you need the stamp to register at the ward office!

Needed to Register a car in your name and also needed when you sell the vehicle!  One of the documents you need when you buy a car is an Inkanshomeisho. However in order to get this first you need to make a Japanese stamp (also known as a Hanko or Inkan).  

Where to get a Japanese Stamp/Inkan.

Probably the easiest place is Hanko21 there is one in Ebisu or in Tamachi.  Just make sure you say you need one for an Inkanshomeisho also best to take something with your last name in Katakana on it and request for that to be used.

Registering the Stamp at Your Local Ward Office.
Once you have your stamp made you need to take it to your local ward office.  (Take your residency card as well)!

At the time of registering your card – maybe make one or two copies of the inkanshomeisho!  “Inkanshomeishos” (Proof of stamp paper work).

If you have bought a car you wil need at least one inkanshomeisho so make one at that time – usually cost about 300 yen a piece – they are valid for three months form the date of issue only.  You will need a new one when you sell the car.


  • The inkanshomeisho’s look different for each area, so if yours doesn’t look the same as the above video that’s fine.
  • Inakanshomeisho’s are only valid for 3 months from the date of issue.
  • When you sell your car you will need an inkanshomeisho and the stamp associated with that / registered to that inkanshomeisho.  You wil need to make a new one as they are only valid for three months of their date of issue (as mentioned above).
  • What if my address has changed?  You will need to issue a Juminhyo at the ward office showing the history of addresses from when you first registered the car up until the new address on your current inkanshomeisho.   Confused?   Email MIck!   [email protected]