what paper work do I need to buy and Sell a car in tokyo Japan?

Paperwork Needed to buy Register a car and or sell a Car in Japan into your name

Now you are looking to buy a car in Japan – great!  You will enjoy the freedom it gives you!   Or maybe it is time to sell – read on below for the paper work you will need in either situation.

Paper work needed to buy a car in Japan.
1.  Inkanshomeisho – (Proof of stamp) see the video here:  CLICK HERE.

  • Making an Inkanshomei sho – click on the link here CLICK HERE.
  • You will need to make a stamp at a stamp shop or what is known as a “Hanko” or “Inkan” in Japanese.  Where are these stamp shops – ask a Japanese person at your company for a stamp shop near by.  A popular stamp shop with may stores is called “Hanko 21”.  
    NOTE:  Be sure to tell the Hanko shop that you intend to register the stamp at the wrd office in order to make inkanshomeishos.

2.  Proxy – Ininjo (This is needed to enable us to transfer the car into your name without you and your stamp being present at the land office when the title change is planned to occur).  You will need to stamp a Proxy (Or “Ininjo” in Japanese).  We supply this paper for stamping.

3.  Parking Permit Application Paper Work.
In order to register a car in your name in Japan you need to prove that you have a space to park that car.(This applies to most areas in Japan and cars with engines over 660 cc in size).  We can supply the parking permit application paper work for persons living in Tokyo.  Areas out of Tokyo will have different application forms – similar but different.  You can pick up these applications at your local police station.  (Not at the police box that you may see on some local street corners – but at the main police station in your area).  

Parking Space Dimensions
The parking space needs to be of a size that allows a car to fit in it – if the car is too long or high for the space a parking permit will be denied and you will not be able to register the car into your name.  Be sure to check the dimensions of the parking space with your housing agent and or real estate agent.  Sometimes there are plaques on the wall next to the entrance to machine parking systems that notes the parking restriction dimensions.  Take a photo of this and email to us.

Parking Space Distance From Home Your Address (Must be within 2 km).
Also the parking space needs to be withing two km’s of the address that is on your inkanshomeisho.  If it is to be registered at an office you work at that is over two km’s from where you live then the car will need to be registered in the company’s name as the user and you could still be noted as the owner.  There are few other circumstance where you may want to register a car at an address that is a long way from your registered address – e.g. a holiday home.  If you own the home or are the contracted lease holder for the property then registering the car in your name at that address should be possible – contact us so we can work to find out of registration in your name is possible or not.

The process of registering a car in your name:
(Assuming you have all the paper work form the seller needed to transfer title the process will be as follows).

  1. First apply for a parking permit at your local main police station.
  2. Pick up the parking permit when it becomes valid.
  3. Take the parking permit and the seller’s paper work, car’s paper work, your paper work to the land office that is associated with your address and proceed to apply for the title change.  You can write up all the paper work yourself or pay a scrivener to do the paper work for you.  Costs vary for this paper work fee but it is about 2,500 yen to 3,500 depending.  NOTE:  If the car’s number plate is a number plate from a different area than the one you live in you will also need to drive the car to the land office and have new number plates placed on the car.  The old ones are taken off by you/us and the new ones bought and placed on the car:  New number plates cost about 1,440 yen.  
  4. After visiting the land office with the correct paper work and the car (assuming the car needs to be taken to the land office because its current number plates are from another area) – you will now have the car in your name with a new registration paper in your name.

    We can handle this parking permit process for you (Tokyo area only).  Contact us about sorting out this process if you need.  CONTACT 


  1. Inkanshomeisho (印鑑証明書) x 1 (best to make two though just in case).  These are valid for three months from their date of issue only.  So if you have an old one this will not be usable.   Please make new one/s at the ward office.  How to make an inkanshomeisho – click here.
  2. Stamping of a Proxy (Ininjo in Japanese – 委任状
  3. Stamping of a Bill of Sale (Jotosho in Japanese 譲渡証明書
    We can supply the Proxy and bill of sale noted here.
  4. The cars original shaken paper / registration paper (車検書).
  5. The original paid receipt for road tax.  Or proof that the road tax has been paid which can be issued by the car road tax center at the land office assigned to your area.  (自動車税証明書)

Disposing of a car in Japan – other docs
You will need the same paper work noted above for when you are selling a car &

  • RECYCLE KEN/PAPER (リサイクル件)
  • JIBAISEKI (自賠責保険)The valid one!  There may be some out of validity ones still in the car.  

In this case you will also be asked to supply the recycle ken/paper and the Jibaiseki (Compulsory Japanese Insurance document).  These two documents are usually stored in the booklet or in a file in your glove box compartment.

ANY QUESTIONS – CONTACT US HERE with your questions.


You don’t Need a Japan Driving Licence to Buy a Car for Cash – but you need one to drive it!

Transferring Your License – switch to a Japanese driving licence
For some countries you will be required to sit a driving test however for a number of others you just need to get your license transferred, if you are lucky enough to be from one of these countries find information here on how to transfer you license.

JAF – JAPAN AUTOMOBILE FEDERATION has information on this – see the following link;  http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/translation/switch.htm