English Car Insurance

Is it mandatory to have insurance for your vehicle in Japan?

Your car’s shaken / registration has a portion of its cost allocated to Jibaiseki (Japanese Compulsory Insurance – JCI or some call it CALI.
This insurance needs to be valid when driving your car as does the registration/shaken.  Do not drive your car if the date of your shaken has run out!

Video – how do I find out when my shaken expires?  

Video – What does the Jibaiseki (JCI or CALI) look like?
Video – How Do I find out when the Jibaiseki (JCI or CALI) expires?

The date the shaken expires is noted on the small blue color square shape sticker that is generally located in the top middle position of your car’s front windscreen.  As you sit on the inside of the car look closely at the sticker – it will have the exact date that it expires printed on it!  If you look at the sticker from outside of the car i.e. the front of the sticker it will tell you the Japanese year and month of expiration (but not the day).  To see the day you need to look at thre rear side of the sticker from within the car – ok?

Also the same date noted on the back of that sticker will be printed on the cars shaken paper – it is located at the bottom left hand area of the shaken paper (registration paper).  

If you have any doubts send me a copy of your shaken paper and email it to me – I can read the shaken paper or you:  Email to:  cars(at)MickLay(dot)com

Video – where is the shaken / registration expiry date on my shaken / registration paper?


It is NOT mandatory to have private insurance to drive a car in Japan.  But I strongly suggest you buy at least third party insurance!

(Note: We are not insurance agents – we can introduce you to agents).
Any discussion here about insurance is strictly unofficial – you must seek advise from a registered insurance agent).

There are three types of private insurance that you should have.

1) Compulsory Third Party Insurance (jibaiseki hoken).
This insurance will only pay to help the victim in the case of an accident.

2) Third Party Private Insurance – consult with an insurance agent.
3) Comprehensive Vehicle Insurance (jidosha hoken) – consult with an insurance agent.
This insurance is optional but recommended. It covers the costs of injuries sustained by the third party if the cost of their treatment is more than what is provided by the compulsory third party insurance. It also covers the costs of other accidents that are not covered by the compulsory third party insurance.

In Case of a traffic accident (if you have any language problems please call us and we will be happy to help – 03-3468-0804)

• Give first aid to people who are injured
• Take appropriate measures to prevent other traffic accidents.
• Immediately report the accident to the police and follow their instructions (if you don’t call the police, then you may not be able to claim insurance from the insurance company because they usually require a traffic accident report (kotsu jiko shomeisho) from the police).
• Try to notify the insurance company as soon as possible.

We work closely with a number of car insurance companies here in Tokyo so for a quote please contact us and we get back to you ASAP.